Sunday, 19 July 2015

HIDDEN HUNGER...



Hidden Hunger (2015) is a Bond Emeruwa and Bob Caputo production, with Bond Emeruwa also in the director's seat. It tells the story of bravery and triumph in the face of dire opposition. It also depicts how people are usually adverse to change.

The movie features Joseph Benjamin, Queen Nwokoye and Ebele Okaro Onyuike.
Joseph plays Jonathan, a Youth Corps member who is posted to a remote village, and who inadvertently changes the lives of the villagers. We see Jonathan struggle to become accustomed to the village lifestyle while seeking redeployment to Lagos. Queen plays Dr Dafe, also a corper, who has the hunger to also change the way things are in the village. Ebele plays Madam Juliana who is the leader of women in the village.

WHAT I LIKED- I liked the cast and the setting. I liked that the story was straight-forward. The cinematography was okay too. The actors did a good job interpreting their roles as well. The acting was really good, above average if I must say, with hardly any over acting in the movie. The scenes were also not unduly prolonged, as is customary with most nollywood movies.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE - In most Nigerian movies, when trying to depict that the actors are corps members, the directors make them wear the youth corps uniforms too much. I have served in the Youth Corps, and I know most people who have served will attest to the fact that we do not wear the corps uniform every single day of our lives when serving. It is okay if while introducing the actors they wear the corps uniform, but in other scenes, i don't think it is really necessary. Costume over-flogging....or are they promoting NYSC?

I also did not like that a portion of the plot was a little unrealistic. (Spoiler alert!) The movie leads us to believe that rural women who are hard working and industrious are quite easily deceived by a woman who comes from the city to purchase their crops. If the movie was set in an era when the only means of transportation to the city were bicycles, then it would be believable. Because, even rural women have "shined" their eyes oh!


SHOULD YOU WATCH IT? Sure. It is definitely not a waste of time.

NWG RATING: DEM TRY (4 STARS)




No comments:

Post a Comment