Sunday, 5 July 2015

De Ja Vu? Anyone?




Set in the Benin Kingdom many years ago, Iyore (2015) tells the tragic love story of Amenze, the Oba’s virgin wife, and Edosa, a warrior in the great Benin kingdom. it tells a story of how "The Ancestors" affected the lives they lived at the time, and consequently, the lives of their descendants.


The movie, which was directed by Frank Arase, features a great cast comprising Rita Dominic, Joseph Benjamin, Okawa Shaznay, Yemi Blaq, Bukky Wright and Paul Obazele. It also features a host of very prominent "Bini" actors who were fabulous in their respective roles. Rita Dominic plays Osarugue who doubles as the story teller. Osarugue brings the story of Amenze and Edosa to life. She is in love with Prince Azuwa played by Joseph Benjamin. Rita and Joseph are A list actors and they did a very good job interpreting their roles. Yemi Black plays Ovie, Osarugue's husband. It has been a minute since I saw Yemi in a movie and he did not disappoint at all. Okawa Shaznay plays the triple role of Amenze, Onaiwu and Princesss Ajoke. Although I have never seen her in any movie, she gives a note-worthy performance. I will definitely watch out for her.


WHAT I LIKED - I loved everything about the cast, the costume, the setting, and the battle scenes (ooooh, the battle scenes were really good). It is clear that a lot of thought and consideration was put into this by the director. I grew up in Benin, so I can confidently say that the depiction of the Benin kingdom was on point. The story was told from the past to the present, to the past before the past and back to the present. I really liked that about the movie.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE -The story was a little confusing. I watched the movie twice. I have come to the conclusion that even though the story was well told, it had some flaws.

We are led to believe that that two individuals continuously relieve the experiences their ancestors once had, and that these experiences are meant to be carried on in the lives of their descendants (that is, their reincarnations). But then the story somehow includes a third party in the reincarnation of those two, and throws all off balance... and I think  this could have been scripted better. The conversations between the descended & the reincarnated are very confusing... especially with several jumps across the story timeline (past & present). Although it leaves room for some head scratching, the occurrence of "dejavu" cannot satisfactorily(to all) be explained, so i guess we'll allow the head scratching?

I think Rita should have been a little less made up in several scenes. Still on make up, the movie makeup artists could (in my humble opinion) have put in more effort/skill in the aging makeup. The characters shown in scenes "19 years later", still looked the same way they did from 19 years ago. Haba! Or are they vampires?

I did not like the continuity as well. I think the director was trying to do too much within a limited time frame and it was evident in the production.

Finally, The actors should have put more effort into learning how to pronounce the Bini names. As someone who has an ear for all things "Bini", owing to the fact that I grew up in Benin, I did not appreciate that the actors could not pronounce the names properly. 


SHOULD YOU SEE IT?
Definitely, but I think you would have to see it more than once to get the movie.

NWG RATING: JUST THERE (3 STARS)


No comments:

Post a Comment